cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: Use of the what command with java code (was: Including source files in jars)
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:52:39 GMT
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:01:50AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 8 juin 04, ? 08:32, Sylvain Wallez a ?crit :
> >...You can know when the build was done by looking at the class files
> >creation date in the jars, but you cannot know what sources were used
> >to produce them, except that they're older than the build. But how
> >much older? Was the checkout done a day before or a week? Also, was it
> >a full cvs update or only a partial one (e.g. on a particular
> >block)?...
>
> In the Good Old Times (C++ programming under unix) we were using the
> "what" command to tell us from which versions of source files our
> binaries were built (see "man what" for more info if you're running a
> decent platform) (I know I'll get flamed for saying "decent" ;-)
>
> A quick test shows that this works with java as well, using unzip -p to
> decompress jars before letting "what" process their content.

This sounds great, except if the cause of the problem/solution that
made you dig in the source code is a change that was not committed yet,
and so did not have its version control number bumped appropriately,
and of course any source code changes would not be stored in the
version control repository in this case.  With a centralized setup like
CVS this is pretty likely to happen occasionally, but less likely with
a distributed setup like Monotone.

In short, there are times when having the *actual* source code around
could be a real lifesaver.

--Tim Larson