cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] preservation policy for third-party snapshot sources
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:24:47 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> That's the problem. With snapshots you cannot reliably do that. You can
> only reliably get the matching source if the repository was tagged at the
> time it was extracted.  Furthermore, I have had difficulty in the past
> finding and getting access to source repositories. Some projects seem to
> move around.
>
> However, as long as Cocoon doesn't ship releases with snapshots this isn't
> as important to me as I will only be deploying from formal Cocoon
> releases.

(It is getting very difficult to follow this important
discussion over various different email threads.)

Even with formal releases of third-party jars,
the sources might not be available when we want them.

I know this idea might not be possible, but let us
throw it into the melting pot anyway ...

http://archive.apache.org/

Could we add a source tarball of every third-party
archive that we rely upon?

Then we could have a generated page similar to our
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/jars.html
which provided easy access to those. Developers
would consult their local copy of that table.

--
David Crossley