cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] preservation policy for third-party snapshot sources
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:42:46 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> My late vote (even if it might not change anything anymore)...
> > [ ] do not keep sources
> > [+1] keep sources as separate zip files
> > [+1] keep sources in jar files
>
> Some problems I see with not keeping sources:
>
> * with time, versioning systems may go offline (ie when a project moves
> to another host, migrates to another versioning system, is renamed, or
> dies alltogether...)

However, this would be a problem with getting the sources
that matched an actual release too.

> * the CVS dates still aren't very exact (someone can be committing while
> you are checking out)
>
> * sometimes people rearrange directories in the CVS repository directly

Yes, we at Cocoon know that too well.

My proposal was only an alternative - i did not expect
it to be the final solution.

I think that discussion inside a vote thread, shows
that maybe not enough discussion was done beforehand.
Anyway, it got people talking.

--
David Crossley