cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnston, Jason" <jason.johns...@Intrado.com>
Subject Re: [CForms] union case as relative path
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:49:44 GMT
Thank you for your reply, Tim...

> Working from memory alone, I only see three issues:
> * Where do you want the lookup to be relative to?  Probably relative to
>   the parent (like I think you are suggesting) would make the most
>   sense.

I agree with you, relative to the parent seems the most logical and is
consistent with the current behavior.

> * There may be sequence of execution issues if the widget you reference
>   is defined below (further down the file) than the union itself, as in
>   the case-determining widget's request parameter may not have been
>   processed in time to contribute to the union's case selection process.
>   You will need to test this and either document the limitation or
>   design some way for this dependecy to reorder the request parameter
>   processing to eliminate the problem.

How is this issue currently resolved?  What happens if a union is
defined and then its case-determining widget is defined directly after
it?  It seems the dependency you describe would exist regardless of if
the widget lookup uses getChild() or lookupWidget().

> * The union widget is being redesigned and will be replaced by "choice"
>   described here: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WoodyScratchpad
>   The good news is we can probably reuse the good solutions you come up
>   with for the union widget when we implement "choice/case".

That's an interesting read and I'm looking forward very much to the new
choice/case paradigm.  The current union is useful but becomes very
unwieldy and limiting if complex selection logic is needed.

How actively is the new choice/case widget being developed?  Will it
replace union altogether or supplement it?  If switching union to use
lookupWidget() as I originally described turns out to function properly
would a patch be accepted in the official tree?  I'm new to the Cocoon
community's development process so please forgive my ignorance.

--Jason