cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon is not gump!
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:21:03 GMT
On 30 Jun 2004, at 08:47, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>> For third-party, unreleased or patched libs, a coherent naming scheme
>> and archive.apache.org offloading procedure should suffice.
>

> A coherent naming scheme is needed, but is archiving in a central
> location necessary (not talking of the infrastructure problems)? When
> you decide to deliver a project using a snapshot, that snapshot is
> generally a recent one (otherwise its changes are likely to be part of
> an official release) and the CVS repository is therefore still
> available.

For "snapshot releases" of dependency libraries, I think adding and
versioning separate src jars of these specific libraries to CVS should
be enough - and could possibly boil down to a simple jar-up and commit
of said library's source code by the committer doing the library
upgrade.

CVS sandbox size shouldn't be a concern IMHO - distribution size might
be for some, and would hopefully get solved once we split Cocoon into a
kernel project and a federation of Cocoon modules|blocks subprojects.
Until we are there, we might add an ├╗ber-src-jar build target to the
build system collecting source dumps of those libraries and wrapping
those into a cocoon-unreleased-dependent-libs.jar we ship along the
real distribution.

Since Ralph is very keen on this, maybe he can help to come up with
some Ant tasks. ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org