cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Revert JCS, Re: XSP not working in CVS head?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 14:22:45 GMT
Ugo Cei <u.cei <at> cbim.it> writes:

> "The Disk Cache is not meant to be persistence mechanism. The data file
> for each cache is deleted, if it exists, on startup. No data from a
>   The data file for each cache is also deleted on shutdown."
>
> Given this, I'm afraid that both EHCache and JCS are not appropriate for
> persisting objects like Logicsheet and Pagesheet to disk (I wonder how
> JISP handles persisting non-serializable objects, in the first place).

No Logicsheet and Pagesheet should NOT go into the persistent Store. The problem
we need to solve is the apparent requirement of both these packages that objects
need to implement Serializable even if we only want to cache them transiently.

> What I'd suggest to do at this point is:
>
> 1) Ship 2.1.5 with EHCache as the default store, configured with a
> memory store large enough for at least running the samples with a decent
> cache hit ratio.

Either that or use JCS. For the problems we are considering it makes no diff. As
 the transient store we could use the current MRUMemoryStore so that components
such as XSP and Paginator won't break.

If you consider the "default" store role to be transient+persistent
Serializabitlity is a requirement for objects to store.

<snip otherwise gmane refuses to post it saying "new text is less than quoted
text..."/>

> 4) Drop the damn store janitor! I have the impression it's not needed
> anymore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is only used by org.apache.cocoon.components.store.impl.DefaultStore in order to
overflow org.apache.cocoon.components.store.impl.TransientStore to
o.a.c.c.s.i.PersistentStore . So if we use either JCS or EHCache as default
store it can be dropped, yes.

--
Unico