cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Synchronization (was Re: VERY odd exceptions...)
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 13:22:18 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Agree for *variables*. Here, we have a class member, which has to be
> loaded, then incremented, then stored.
>
> So as Bertrand, I stay on the safe side and synchronize.
>
> Sylvain

I understand the desire for more metrics and instrumenting Cocoon so
that you can get the information you desire, but I have a very serious
caveat emptor here.  The more synchronization you put into the system
the less scalability you get.  It comes at a very heavy price.  See my
blog for a word picture of thread contention:

http://www.jroller.com/comments/bloritsch/Weblog/fighting_over_resources

Keep in mind that the more order you try and impose on a chaotic
atmosphere the more bottlenecks you introduce.  The contention becomes
more violent and the overall system slows down.

If you go this route, I highly recommend you place it inside a block
that does not execute if debugging is not happening.  For example:

if ( getLogger().isDebugEnabled() ) {
	// do synchronized instrumentation
}

That way in production you do not have to pay the price later.