cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: VERY odd exceptions...
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 12:40:30 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On 25 May 2004, at 10:05, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> Have you noticed, by any chance, a ConcurrentModificationException
> somewhere in your tests?
>
> I noticed that the ExcaliburComponentManager doesn't correctly
> synchronize on its m_componentHandlers hashmap, and that might be the
> root of our problems...

A ConcurrentModificationException happens when you invoke a "put" or
"remove" operation on the HashMap at the same time you are using an
Iterator.  The Iterator will throw the ConcurrentModificationException
because the information that the iterator is going through is no longer
valid.

I don't recall there being anything in the ECM dispose method that would
cause this to happen.  There are a couple things I would check though:

* Request scoped lookups
* The BucketMap in Commons Collections

I would double check ECM as well--I just have to get another release
done at work before noon.  After that, I will see what I can dig up.

>> IIRC, hard restarts didn't help either in this case, the only "fix"
>> was to edit the sitemap (add a space somewhere for example).
>

> How come we're keeping state on the sitemap? Where?

When the sitemap was compiled that was an easy one.  Perhaps the "store"
or cache is the place where that state is maintained?