cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's wrong with our build system?
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 08:22:13 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...I propose to move Cocoon to Maven. Please VOTE:
>
> I know the vote is canceled, but maybe we can talk about the problems
> before looking at a solution?

+1

> IMHO these are the problems of the current build system:
>
> 1) Monolithic repository makes it impossible to include libraries having
> non-ASF compatible licenses.
>
> That's the big thing for me, specially as it causes a big loss of energy
> discussing licenses for library X or Y instead of just hosting these
> cool components in non-ASF repositories.
>
> I know Real Blocks will solve this, but does anyone see Real Blocks
> happening in the near future?
>
> 2) Monolithic repository requires a big download before being able to do
> anything with Cocoon.
>
> I might be wrong but I don't see any other issues with the current build
> system.
>
> IMHO, being able to include parts of external repositories in the build
> (by getting them dynamically from their CVS or SVN repositories at build
> time) would bring most of what people are waiting for in Real Blocks.

http://incubator.apache.org/depot/

in particular

http://incubator.apache.org/depot/update/

The current SVN version gets the jars specified in the gump xml file too.

                    - 0 -

As for our build, there is another thing that should be done to make it
better, as the current xsl-based hack I had put up was needed with Ant 1.5.

Now that we have Ant 1.6, we should instead do this:

1 - make a block-build.xml file in the blocks dir that contains
     a default block build file.
2 - add a build.xml file to every block with
       <import file="../block-build.xml">
3 - in each block build.xml file we can add extra targets or
     override the ones imported
4 - use <subant> to make the build system call all block buildfiles

This is how to set up in Ant what Maven calls the "reactor". I was
waiting to see the switch to SVN to test it on a branch, but since you
came up with this thread, I thought I'd share it now :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -