cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [RT] Logging in Cocoon
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 13:05:56 GMT
Many have suggested this in the past and as Ugo mentioned it
yesterday, I think it's time to check our logging strategy.

Currently we use LogKit as our base logging system. Unfortunately
we are using third party components that either use Log4J or
commons-logging. So in the end you have to configure more than
one logging system.

Log4j is the standard for logging  - I think this is obvious.
So, the easiest and most obvious solution is to use Log4J in
Cocoon as well.
Since 2.1.5 you can simply switch to Log4J if you configure
the logger-class parameter in web.xml. There is only one
drawback: log4j has to be configured "elsewhere"; this is
not done by Cocoon.

So, my suggestion is to:
- deprecate the use of LogKit
- switch to log4j as default
- make it possible to configure log4j from within Cocoon (like the
  current logkit.xml for LogKit).

WDYT?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler