cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release on monday
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 11:02:16 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 19.05.2004 10:49, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > I think we fixed the most serious problems for 2.1.5 now.
>
> Can you sum up the status of the store issues?

No, I lost track of it...

> There were
> hundreds of mail on it especially on Monday.
>
> Before this week we had a non-working persistent store, now
> we have no longer a persistent store, but a two-stage caching
> system with both JCS and EHCache? What about the Serializable issues?

Ok, let me try it:

- Between 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 we had the refactoring of the stores. The basic
  idea is to have only two stores that should be used by clients:
  the store and the transient store. The transient store is - well -
  transient - it does not persist data. The store should also persist
  data. It should implement a two phase store (memory -> disk).
- The old (jisp) based implementation of the store used the persistent
  store to persist the data.
- Due to the refactoring we had severe problems (don't know which)
  that prevented us from releasing - this came up on friday. (it was
  mentioned here and there earlier)

- Now: we are using JCS for the store. JCS itself has a two-phase
  caching implemented and therefore we don't need a persistent store
  anymore.
- We still use the memory store for the transient store.

- If you put objects into the store, they have to be serializable now.
  Even if JCS holds the data just in memory, it assumes that the
  objects are serializable. Perhaps they will change this perhaps
  not.
  Although this is different from the jisp based version it doesn't
  affect us as we are using serializable objects anyway - which makes
  sense as they whole data should be persistent later on.

- If you put objects into the transient store they don't have to
  be serializable.

- Persisting cache entries inbetween application starts didn't work
  very well with Jisp as we had bugs in Cocoon.
  This works now with JCS.
- There is only one bug: JCS is not always writing the data to disk. It
  seems that there has to be a critical mass of data before it gets
  written. - we reported this issue and I hope they will fix it. But
  this is not a serious issue as the persistence is not that important
  and didn't work before anyway.

So, to sum it up: imho we have no a working system that is based on JCS.
There are minor problems that we can fix in the next releases.

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Carsten