cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Logging in Cocoon
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 14:40:16 GMT
Marco Rolappe wrote:

> the only problem I have with directly using log4j is being
> tied to it. if the code starts to use log4j specific features
> you'll be no more (easily) able to move to another logger
> implementation. and the issues with commons-logging
> (classpath, etc.) will probably also be true for log4j.

Ah, ok, I see. Now, I wasn't very clear what I meant. Of course,
I would like to have the used logging system still configurable
like it is today. Today we ship Cocoon with LogKit preconfigured.
What I meant is to change this to Log4j.

As this is only the logging subsystem used by Avalon logging,
no code of Cocoon has to be changed and we will not use log4j
directly from our code. So we should be able to switch at
any time.

> > > and what do you mean by configuring log4j from within cocoon?
> > > isn't it easy enough to put the log4j configuration file to
> > > /WEB-INF/classes?
> > >
> > Yepp, but we have to provide this configuration and perhaps
> we have to
> > think about possible configuration conflicts. For example
> what happens
> > if a third party project comes with a log4j conf as well. I think
> > log4j handles this automatically but I'm not sure.
>
> maybe that's the core issue: providing the ability to
> configure it; which logging implementation, the
> implementation's config, generic logger definitions ala logkit.xconf.

Yepp.

Carsten