cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <>
Subject Mime-Type setting of a serializer [was: RE:cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/]
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 10:00:01 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> I saw your back port of the changed mime-type setting.
> And have two questions that are not directly related to it:
> 1. Is this compatible to my proposed patch at
> ??
> 2. What about this patch at all?
> Sorry to nag you about this issue, but I got no response
> until now. And I think fixing this issue is important as we
> can not rely on correct browser charset recognition. Tomcat
> probably follows only the spec. See also the dependent bug
> for a more user-centric view.
Ok, I think there are different issues here.

One of them is the order in which the mime-type is evaluated.
I think we should change if for the serializer as well in order
to make it equal to the order used for the reader. So the order
should be:
- optional configured mime-type in the usage of the serializer
  (perhaps this can be removed)
- configured mime-type in the configuration of the serializer
- ask the serializer

Now for the encoding. In general I would say that a serializer
is configured with a mime-type and (perhaps) with an encoding.
Now, a working solution should be that the serializer is
configured with the combination of mime-type and encoding:
<map:serializer mime-type="MT;ENCODING".../>
This should work out of the box. It has only the disadvantage
that you configure the encoding twice on the serializer.

View raw message