cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Logging in Cocoon
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 13:25:20 GMT
Marco Rolappe wrote:

> why depend explicitly on log4j instead of using
> commons-logging? AFAIK when log4j is available
> commons-logging automatically uses it before falling back to
> JDK logger etc.

Currently - as we are using Avalon for our components - we use
an avalon logger which is not directly logging but uses a
logging subsystem. This subsystem can be logkit, log4j etc.
I think commons-logging is possible as well.
I honestly don't know if it's better to use commons-logging
or directly use log4j.

> and what do you mean by configuring log4j from within cocoon?
> isn't it easy enough to put the log4j configuration file to
> /WEB-INF/classes?

Yepp, but we have to provide this configuration and perhaps we
have to think about possible configuration conflicts. For example
what happens if a third party project comes with a log4j
conf as well. I think log4j handles this automatically but I'm
not sure.

Carsten