cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [VOTE] - Move Cocoon to Maven
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 08:27:27 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > 3. The biggest advantage imho (and again this is my
> personal opinion -
> > others might differ of course) are the different reports
> you get for
> > free
>
> Sorry Carsten, but this is a bit ridiculous, given all the
> lines of code you pour into Cocoon. You know how many lines
> of code you need to generate them in Ant?
>
> In any case, we are going to add them to Forrest too for the
> lazy asses, if you care.
>
> Yes, I am being bad, but I find it incredible to hear that
> Maven is great because it calls Ant to do trivial reports for you.
>
> And looking at our current build, the main "offenders" are
> the doc generation tasks (that I don't know how they can be
> so many as Forrest should do it all by itself), and build
> targets that are really small, except for customizations that
> you would do with Maven in any case.
>
> This is how it can easily be done in Ant:
> http://nick.chalko.com/smc2/blog/tech/Java/?permalink=AntWorks.txt

As I said this is *my* opinion about Maven in general and I also
said that we shouldn't try to use Maven for Cocoon now.

I think, if someone wants to use Ant - he should. If someone wants
to use Maven she should as well. There is no right or wrong. I
actually don't care if Maven is big or slow or uses Ant inside
It's just a piece of software that does something. As long as it works
for me I don't care what it is using inside. It could be written in
XSLT for example. Doesn't matter.

So and this is my last sentence in this useless discussion: we had a
lot of benefit in switching from Ant to Maven in *our* projects and
it helped *us* a lot, but of course this might not be the case in
other projects

Carsten