cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] Logging in Cocoon
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 12:06:23 GMT
 > >Ok, this is all true - but considering performance it's imho neglectable
 > >even if you consider that heavy xml parsing and stylesheet transformations
 > >happen at the same time.
 > >

 > Maybe ;-)
 >
 > I'll try to come up with real numbers soon!
 >
 > Sylvain

Sylvain,

Although there is some overhead in the way log4j does its lookup, you
should discover that the overhead is in the nano-second range.

Thus, for many applications the difference should be so small as to be
unmeasurable. However, there are situations where the overhead makes a
difference. In particular, when the logging is done at the "OS" or
container level. We are aware of the problem. It will be addressed in
future versions of log4j.

In any case, I would be quite interested in the numbers you come up
with.

--
Ceki Gülcü