cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Plan] The future of Cocoon
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 20:28:34 GMT
Il giorno 26/mag/04, alle 11:17, Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:

> Some things that come to my mind for 2.2:
> - first finished version of CForms.
> - deprecate XSP (and provide a viable alternative)
> - cleaning up the caching/store mess
> - remove deprecated blocks etc.

- Differentiate between blocks that provide a service to other blocks
and blocks that contain just samples or small applications built upon
cocoon (petstore, tour, linotpye). Maybe "samples-only" blocks should
be a separate download.

-Deprecate blocks that haven't been maintained in a long while or don't
serve any evident purpose. Web3, apples, python, php, asciiart come to
mind. Maybe I'm wrong about some of them but I just want to make a
point, we can then decide on a case-by-case basis.

- Review the implications and the implementation of pooling.

- Reduce unneeded dependencies on Avalon, where possible.

- Review the logging framework. Log4j is the de-facto standard and we
have blocks that complain if Log4j is not properly configured, so let's
accept it and stop reinventing the wheel.

- Drop that Excalibur datasource. Components that need a DS should get
one provided by the container via JNDI. If we don't have a container
(running via the CLI, for instance), let the environment provide one
and bind it to a JNDI namespace.

- Write more tests (you knew this one was coming ;-) ).

	Fire at will,

		Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/