cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Large xml's in cocoon
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 15:22:24 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 16:28, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>

>>>Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

>>>Not sure. I don't think we are swollen the exception in this case. But I
>>>am not the best knowledge to tell that. ;-)
>>>
>>>What I can said is: we have an application running since Cocoon 2.0.3 and
>>>has being updated on each Cocoon version to 2.1..5 and it works fine. We
>>>render some reports to excel, html and pdf with more than 5,000 rows.
>>>

>>I did experience the same "white page" error before and I feel that was
>>an OutOfMemoryException due to the JPEG thumbnail code (I was creating
>>20 thumbnails at the same time from 4 megapixel images... I guess the
>>JVM heap was going insane).
>>
>>So, let's use heuristics here: did anybody ever see an
>>OutOfMemoryException in an cocoon error page? I haven't.
>>
>>Did you ever get a white page in cocoon that went away after one or two
>>reloads? I did.
>>
>>thoughts?
>>

>It is because it is an OutOfMemoryError, not an Exception. Currently
>Errors are not catched by Cocoon.
>
>There has been a discussion thread about this in the past, I don't
>remember if any consensus was reached about what how we want to treat
>Errors.

IIRC, we found that OutOfMemoryError was special and could be catched by
Cocoon, as it can potentially occur in the processing of pipelines that
normally succeed, either will smaller documents or less concurrent users.

Other errors (NoClassDefFound, StackOverflow etc) should not be handled
by Cocoon

Sylvain