cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Plan] The future of Cocoon
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 14:25:22 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 26/mag/04, alle 11:17, Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:
>
>> Some things that come to my mind for 2.2:
>> - first finished version of CForms.
>> - deprecate XSP (and provide a viable alternative)
>> - cleaning up the caching/store mess
>> - remove deprecated blocks etc.
>

> - Differentiate between blocks that provide a service to other blocks
> and blocks that contain just samples or small applications built upon
> cocoon (petstore, tour, linotpye). Maybe "samples-only" blocks should
> be a separate download.

+1

> -Deprecate blocks that haven't been maintained in a long while or
> don't serve any evident purpose. Web3, apples, python, php, asciiart
> come to mind. Maybe I'm wrong about some of them but I just want to
> make a point, we can then decide on a case-by-case basis.

+1

> - Review the implications and the implementation of pooling.

A big +1.

> - Reduce unneeded dependencies on Avalon, where possible.

+1. Stated differently: introduce constructor and property dependency
injection.

> - Review the logging framework. Log4j is the de-facto standard and we
> have blocks that complain if Log4j is not properly configured, so
> let's accept it and stop reinventing the wheel.

See my answer to Carsten.

> - Drop that Excalibur datasource. Components that need a DS should get
> one provided by the container via JNDI. If we don't have a container
> (running via the CLI, for instance), let the environment provide one
> and bind it to a JNDI namespace.

Mmmhh... defining the JNDI datasources is container-specific, and
therefore makes the applications not self-contained. Furthermore,
subsitemaps (and blocks in the future) can come with their own
datasources used locally. I'm not sure this is compatible with the
global declaration induced by JNDI.

> - Write more tests (you knew this one was coming ;-) ).

Don't we have enough of them? :-P

Sylvain