cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fed up with build discussions: proposed deal
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 08:43:50 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ok, so I'm really getting fed up with these build discussions, and if
> we don't give it a break they will continue to grow.
>
> Some people here are not satisfied with our build system, and advocate
> Maven. I definately agree with the first part, and am, for technical
> but also for historical reasons, very much adverse to the second one.
>
> Thus, from this point I am now taking on myself the task of
> restructuring our Ant buildsystem to make it seamless and easy to use
> and administer. In this process I will also make changes to Forrest
> and use extra Ant tasks from Incubator Depot.
>
> For this I need a branch, as I don't want to break anything and in the
> same time I want all to see what is happening with the progress.
> Actually this is why I asked for switching to SVN in the first place.

Why do you need a branch? Just name the new Ant file "new-build.xml" and
it can live beside the current one.

This has at least two benefits:
- doesn't need a separate checkout to use it (meaning more people will
look at it)
- allow people to use the two builds on the same code base to make a
comparison.

Note that I have nothing against the move to SVN. I just find branching
overkill for this problem.

Sylvain