cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Move Cocoon to Maven
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 07:33:54 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> I propose to move Cocoon to Maven. Please VOTE:

-1

I'm with Howard [1] and Hani [2] on this matter. Again, "Less is more"
and we certainly don't need the (mostly) useless drivel that passes for
"Project reports" in maven-generated sites. Trimming the fat by having
the build system download the necessary dependences at compile-time is a
false objective. As Hani says, you're trying to solve a side-effect on
an underlying problem instead of solving the problem. Get rid of the
dependencies, then you can really start trimming the fat!

I'm afraid switching to Maven will only make us waste time and lose
sight of the real problems we have, like having too many dependencies.
So, I would be against it even if Maven would be a bug-free,
well-documented, easy-to-use and performant product, which it apparently
isn't.

	Ugo

[1] http://howardlewisship.com/blog/2004/05/moving-away-from-maven.html
[2] http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20030610#why_maven_sucks