cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Move Cocoon to Maven
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 21:43:34 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I saw many projects that benefit from maven in:
>
>1-shared repository of jars. It will help to cut most of the fat of cocoon.
>
>2-Automatically generation of statistics and status of the project.
>Improves the overview of the project. Manually managing release notes
>allow releases without a full changelog and full bug fixes list. It is
>important for people that is not follow the list and just download cocoon.
>They deserve more info about why the new version is better and what is
>changing.
>
>3-I think there are more pluses :-D

Mmmh... we would like to know them...

>4-We can still use forrest for doco generation.
>
>Website: http://maven.apache.org/
>
>I propose to move Cocoon to Maven. Please VOTE:

Maven seems a complicated beast to me, and before taking the decision to
switch, we should a least have a prototype build system parallel to the
current one allowing people to make their opinion.

But the biggest problem is that Cocoon is distributed as source-only and
requires its users to run the build. This isn't much a problem with a
self-contained system like we have today, but requiring users to install
Maven preliminary to building Cocoon will refrain most of them to even
have a look at Cocoon.

So a big -1 for now.

Sylvain