cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release on monday
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 12:52:52 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> On 19.05.2004 13:02, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>> - If you put objects into the store, they have to be serializable now.
>>>   Even if JCS holds the data just in memory, it assumes that the
>>>   objects are serializable. Perhaps they will change this perhaps
>>>   not.
>>

>> What about the non-Serializable objects? Logicsheets and Paginator
>> stuff were mentioned. Are these objects not put into transient store?
>

> Yep. And the transient store does not (and should not) require objects
> to be serializable (that's its main purpose compared to the regular
> store that may persist objects).

Let's clarify something here about all those stores:

    Transient store: MUST hold NON Serializable objects, MUST NOT
persist objects.
    Persistent store: MUST reject NON Serializable objects, MUST persist
objects.
    Store: MUST hold NON Serializable objects, CAN persist Serializable
objects on overflow (or any other reason), MUST persist all Serializable
objects on shutdown.

For those who have not followed - this was the behavior of the stores in
previous releases of Cocoon (before refactoring we had only two stores,
IIRC, but same behavior). Given terminology above, we can have a working
persistent store (JCS based), and working transient store (from
Excalibur). General store is currently broken in two ways:
  * It does not stores non serializable objects, but should.
  * It does not persists cache on shutdown.

I'm +1 on release, if and only if, we note these above bugs in the known
issues list.

Vadim