cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: XSP not working in CVS head?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 14:12:24 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>!!!!! A LogicSheet cannot be Serializable !!!!!
>>
>>It extends AbstractLogEnabled and has attributes of type
>>ServiceManager and SourceResolver, which aren't serializable !
>>
>>Furthermore, I don't understand why LogicSheets go to JCS
>>since the transient store is used (see
>>AbstractMarkupLanguage.service())
>>
>>Don't have much time ATM, but looking at the recent changes I
>>see a JCSTransientCache. We must be *very careful* with
>>transient cache being actually transient, i.e. *not requiring
>>objects to be serializable*.
>>
>>If JCS requires objects to be serializable even without a
>>persistent backend, so let's *not use it* for the transient
>>cache, and keep the previous MRU memory store.
>>
>>And please, please, do not make Serializable objects that
>>intrinsically are not. This is the root of many evils.
>>

>I'm currently a little bit confused. We have a store, a transient
>store and a persistent store, right?
>
>So, we can make the MemoryStore the transient store (no data
>is serialized) and we can make JCS the persistent store (this
>requires the objects to be serializable which is ok).
>What about the "simple store"?

Surely we have:
Transient: stored in memory, lost on shutdown
Persistent: stored on disc, kept through shutdown
"Simple": stored in memory, pushed to disc when overflowing, persists
contents to disc during shutdown.

It is this third case that is the complicated one to handle (and the one
that is most useful to me for the CLI).

Upayavira