cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP not working in CVS head?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 13:37:09 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

>Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler <at> s-und-n.de> writes:
>

>>It seems this is due to the move to JCS :(
>>
>>The logicsheet is put into the cache and JCS casts this to
>>Serializable in org.apache.jcs.access.CacheAccess.put().
>>
>>So, what do we do now...
>>

>Yes, JCS requires objects to implement Serializable (quite acceptable
>requirement for a cache ). The same problem occurred with Pagesheet from the
>Paginator transformer. I've made both Logicsheet and Pagesheet implement
>Serializable. Alternatively we could let the JCSStore implementation check
>whether the object to store implements Serializable and if not wrap the object
>in a Serializable wrapper (at the cost of some performance). After all, the
>Store interface takes Object types, not Serializables.

!!!!! A LogicSheet cannot be Serializable !!!!!

It extends AbstractLogEnabled and has attributes of type ServiceManager
and SourceResolver, which aren't serializable !

Furthermore, I don't understand why LogicSheets go to JCS since the
transient store is used (see AbstractMarkupLanguage.service())

Don't have much time ATM, but looking at the recent changes I see a
JCSTransientCache. We must be *very careful* with transient cache being
actually transient, i.e. *not requiring objects to be serializable*.

If JCS requires objects to be serializable even without a persistent
backend, so let's *not use it* for the transient cache, and keep the
previous MRU memory store.

And please, please, do not make Serializable objects that intrinsically
are not. This is the root of many evils.

Sylvain