cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <>
Subject Re: [vote] Reschedule the release
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 16:22:07 GMT

From: Sylvain Wallez <sylvain <at>>
Subject: Re: [vote] Reschedule the release
Newsgroups: gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:45:41 +0200

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Given the current discussions about the problems in the
>persistent store, it seems not to be such a good idea
>to release today.
>So, I think we should simply reschedule the release. It
>seems that switching to EHCache is the most painless
>solution for now (JCSCache would be good as well but
>it seems that they still have problems and we shouldn't
>wait for them).
>So, what do you think about:
>- switching to EHCache now

+1 even if EHCache is not as "ASF-friendly" as JCS (referring to David's
post) but just works (referring here to JCS shutdown problems)

Both EHCache and JCS are not designed to be reliable persistence stores in the excalibur store
Both do supply disk-overflow mechanism when the maximum number of objects is exceeded (btw
I don't like).
But it they don't consider it a central concern for a caching system. I think I agree partly
with that.

JCS has the feature whereby the memory cache is written to the disk-overflow and the disk-overflow
retained between server runs but it was previously broken (this was the JCS shutdown problem
mentioned above).
EHCache does not retain its cache after shutdown.

View raw message