cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <>
Subject Re: Release tomorrow
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 16:03:55 GMT

Sorry for joining this discussion so late, I am forced to read the
maillist on gmane lateley due to mail problems at our office :-(

This is may be somewhat outdated info but the situation about two months
ago was as following. There were a number of open bugs reported with JCS
and several users had expressed frustration that their patches and
contributions had been ignored. I think it was part of the reason at
least two independent forks had been started.

One of these, EHCache is what Hibernate has been shipping successfully
for a few months now. It's a *very* lightweight package compared to JCS
and only provides a memory cache with disk overflow capabilities. It's
licensed with an Apache 1.0 license. The issues concerning copyright
owner I reported earlier have been solved. I've been using it in at
least three production sites for a few months now without having any

The advantage of JCS is that it boasts a lot more functionality
(distributed, pluggable, etc) and of course that it is an apache
project. I think a lot of issues may have been solved since I last
looked because there was a surge of activity on the maillinglist some
time ago and some new committers were proposed then. But I haven't
personally used or tested it myself and I've not been monitoring
progress since.

I think we can use either EHCache or JCS as our default cache solution.
Both have their own merits. I personally tend a bit towards EHCache
because I know it works well.One thing to note however is that EHCache
does not persist its disk overflow beyond shutdown by design. JCS does,
but that feature didn't work.