cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Tapestry or the value of multi-channel forms?
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 18:57:45 GMT
On 13.05.2004 18:07, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Although this works well for simple mappings, I don't know how this can
> handle conditional layouts (e.g. different HTML when a repeater is empty
> or not) without requiring a minimal knowledge of some templating language.
>
> But this is something we may work on: I once prototyped a few dozen
> lines of XSL to transform a regular HTML page with <form> and <input>
> tags into their <ft:*> counterparts. You can then use dreamweaver to
> edit your forms.
>
> But Cocoon adds more value to this: from my own experience (related to
> the people's skills in my company), most pages in a webapp are designed
> by people that know the application domain and are therefore more often
> developpers than web designers. In this organisation, the work of the
> web designer is to produce a "skin" that gives some styling for all
> graphical layouts used throughout the application. That skin is then
> translated to XSLT (+CSS). The page developper then only has to write
> very basic HTML (page structure) that is fed into the skinning XSLT to
> add all the fancy graphical layout.
>
> Result: productivity boost and ability to have multiple skins (and to
> some extent multiple channels). It's called "SoC" I guess... ;-)

It seems the more complex the application gets the more you loose the
DreamWeavers. I had the same observation yesterday in my discussion with
Claas Thiele I mentioned. The render manager + renderers will do the
same you wrote above. It provides only skin params that are merged into
the default layout and the result will be the "fancy graphical layout".

Joerg