cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [heads up] [cforms] fi:styling/@type="output" ignored on widg ets with datatype=date.
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 21:59:23 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> Helma,
>
> correct observation, and precisely what Joerg hinted on in his
> commit-message
>
> the other alternatives (thx to clueful colleagues with inspiration) are
>
> - re-introduce fi:styling/type='date' to explicitely call the
> template, but now ignoring any possible formatting pattern (since we
> know it from the widget's datatype)

IIUC, you propose that fi:datatype has no influence on the chosen
styling, but gives the format _when_ fi:styling/@type="date" is present,
right?

Then a big +1000 !

Having the style driven by both the datatype and styling type will lead
to an incredible combinational mess, which we just start to see with
this conflict between @type="output" and fi:datatype.

fi:styling/@type chooses the styling, which can then use some additional
information such as fi:datatype to fine tune the widget's representation.

> - apply some @priority to the template (which always sounds a bit
> hacky to me)

-1 : what are the criteria to define the templates priority ? Also, it
doesn't solve complicated combinations.

> I'm actually open to any suggestion here,
>
> The only opinions I might have are:
> - thinking this is beneficial to the upcoming 2.1.5 (others?)
> - considering the closing date on 2.1.5 we should be hinted at doing
> this in the most safe way (which is a group consensus thing probably,
> and might even lead to different proposals for now and after 2.1.5)

If we agree that only fi:styling/@type drives the rendering type, then
let's do it right now.

Sylvain