cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon after 2.1.5
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 15:17:51 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Considering all our version discussions, we want the next Cocoon
>> version to be a minor version change, so this will be 2.2.
>> We will put new features into it that were planned for 2.2 anyway,
>> perhaps except blocks.
>>
>> Pier suggested that we follow the Linux versioning, so the version
>> numbers .0, .2, etc. mark stable versions whereas .1,.3 etc. mark
>> developer versions.
>> If we want to follow this, we should imho skip 2.2, use 2.3 to
>> indicate a developer version and 2.4 will then be the final and
>> stable version.
>>

> I'm sorry, but I never understood this concept of "developper version".
> Can it be called a version if it's for developpers only ? Isn't this
> actually a development _branch_ that can be given whatever name we want,
> such as "newkernel" as was suggested ?

well, one could say the same about alpha and beta ;-)

As much as I agree that using odd/even numbers to identify meaning is
odd, I think it worked very well for linux and I don't see why it
shouldn't work for us.

It follows a mental picture that many already have (and, besides, I
think HTTPD is following this too)

--
Stefano.