cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] integrating the Radeox wiki parser in Cocoon?
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 11:59:34 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I've been talking with Stephan Schmidt, author of the Radeox
> (http://radeox.org/) wiki parser API and reference implementation,
> about a possible integration of Radeox in Cocoon.
>
> I know we have a wiki parser already, based on Chaperon, but I feel
> Radeox is much more adaptable to variations in wiki syntaxes, and also
> more permissive about syntax (meaning it won't choke on syntax errors).
>
> IMHO, the chaperon parser is very well suited to strict parsing but a
> bit too rigid about the syntax, and harder to customize as it requires
> people to understand the LALR grammar. Radeox uses regexp matching,
> with which people are usually more familiar.
>
> Radeox is currently LGPL and as such could not be distributed with
> Cocoon, but Stephan Schmidt says a license change might possible if
> there's interest from our community, in view of a possible move of the
> project to the ASF later on.
>
> So, assuming the license stuff is taken core of, should we:
>
> [ ] Write a RadeoxWikiGenerator and distribute the Radeox binaries in
> the chaperon block
> [X] Create a new radeox block for this new RadeoxWikiGenerator
> [ ] Stay with the Chaperon-based wiki parser as *the* Cocoon wiki
> parser and forget about Radeox

Chaperon is a very good general-purpose parser (we use it extensively
for non-wiki usage), but Radeox has a strong wiki-oriented community
behind it, making it IMO more suitable for fail-safe handling of
full-featured wiki syntax.

So IMO, Chaperon and Radeox can both leave into their own Cocoon block.

And I would love to see Radeox adopt an ASL-compatible license!

Sylvain