cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apologies (was Re: formation@anyware-tech.com)
Date Sat, 01 May 2004 12:37:09 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 01 May 2004, at 00:15, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Sending announcements to -users doesn't seem more appropriate to me
>> than spamming grabbed email addresses.
>

> It does to me, since the lists are the fabric of our community. Just
> add some [ADD] prefix to the subject and its purpose would be quite
> clear. If you send irrelevant information, you'll be flamed on the
> spot. :-)

You're right. Irrelevant and aggressive announcement will be flamed
right away, quickly leading to self regulation.

> Another option could be to have some commercial news section on our
> website, perhaps also with some RSS feeds. Anyone who would like to be
> included on that page needs to send his announcement/article/whatever
> to the PMC and the PMC checks whether the announcement is
> relevant/applicable.

Having a section on commercial offering is good (we already have it
somehow), but what's needed is something more "proactive" to notify
people of upcoming events such as these training sessions, and I don't
think people are looking the website in search of regularily updated
data. Sure, a RSS feed would help, but how much will subscribe to this feed?

IMO, a good balance can be to have a combination of both: a short
announcement on the mailing-list inviting interested people to visit a
web page, be it on the Apache site or not. We have to be careful though
about hosting such announcements on the Apache server as it may look
like an endorsement from the PMC, and thus lead to frictions between
those that have the PMC's agreement and those that don't have it. It's
not the PMC job to select commercial offerings around Cocoon, although
it can be considered its responsibility to pay back active contributors
by giving them more visibility. Not that easy.

WDYT?

Ah, and I also apologize for those who are disapointed because they have
_not_ received the spam ;-)

Sylvain