cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Licenses
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 21:36:53 GMT
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:02:51PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
> Funny thought: Given the fact that Cocoon is already #1 on
> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/gump_stats/module_dependencies.html,
> one could assume that Cocoon == Gump. :-)

Hmm, 220 dependencies.  That is the reason we need to be clear about
what a user is allowed to do with the libraries bundled with Cocoon.
If we only had a few dependencies, say 5 for example, asking the user
to read the other licenses individually to find out which ones are
more restrictive than ASL 2.0 would make great sense and not be a
burden.

With hundreds of dependencies (and therefore hundreds of license files)
this really becomes cumbersome.  Maybe we should include a license-hints
file that identifies just the libraries that have restrictions that
extend beyond our basic ASL license.  This would cut the required
reading list for our users down to a manageable size.

--Tim Larson

PS: I started thinking about this when my boss asked me to print
out all of the licenses for the open source software we are using.
Ponder how much paper this would use... :(  Maybe just a directory
containing all the license files will keep my boss happy for now :)