cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [IMP] Re: Samples block SWF not working....
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 17:55:54 GMT
Upayavira <uv@upaya.co.uk> writes:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
> >Torsten Curdt dijo:
> >

> >>Though I think we should deprecate
> >>the SWF stuff anyway. The used library
> >>is dead and still needs some work.
> >>

> >>WDYT? Fix it and deprecate it after
> >>2.1.5 is out? ...and of course replace
> >>it it with a flash example.
> >>

> >While I am not a Flash fan. I thought it is not good idea to
> deprecated
> >it. Because many people is using flash or just this is the
> perception I
> >got in my country. Seems to be a "hot" technology around web
> designers.
> >They are developing or looking for "flash" these days. I
> know Cocoon is
> >a step forward of these solutions. But the same as JSP I
> think we can
> >support it as an entry point for some people.
> >

> Modern Flash movies can collect data using XML over HTTP. So there
> doesn't seem much point in actually generating the movie itself from
> within Cocoon. I'd build a flash movie as a static entity,
> and have it
> collect its data from Cocoon as XML over HTTP.
>
> So, I'm not sure that this thing is that useful really. Don't know.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

We've been toying with the idea of creating Flash objects dynamically
from Cocoon.  Not just sending XML to Flash, but actually building Flash
movies on the fly.  This is complicated by the compressed Flash format
used in recent versions of Flash and we haven't yet looked at whether we
can get around that (or if we want to).

Given that we have a limited number of Flash objects that we need to use
I suppose it might be possible to just instantiate multiple instances of
them on the fly, based on some XML structure.  Don't know how difficult
that would be, but if generalized that would give you the Flash version
of Cocoon forms...

A somewhat related subject turns out to be dynamically resizing the
Flash canvas for different browser sizes. This turns out to be a lot
harder than one might think, if anyone knows how to do this we could use
some pointers.