cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Adding a global validation message to a form?
Date Sat, 29 May 2004 09:14:58 GMT
On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 23:58, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Moving this to dev list. Find the original thread at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108559109700004&r=1&w=4.
>
> On 28.05.2004 20:13, Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is a good
> > solution, since those messages are not specifically recognized as being
> > validation errors, and so this wouldn't work together with
> > fi:validation-errors. Maybe the best would be to allow adding validation
> > errors (multiple ones) on the form itself.
>
> The form itself becomes ValidationErrorAware? I searched for it when
> thinking about a solution, but unfortunately the form is not
> implementing the interface.

No, I would rather have a method like addValidationError on the form,
not setValidationError. One global validation error message seems to
limitting to me.

> So +1.
>
> > fi:validation-errors would
> > then better be replaced with a ft:validation-errors (which can crawl the
> > widget tree), since otherwise it wouldn't find the errors attached to
> > the form.
>
> Hmm, I guess it is also possible to add a fi:validation-message to the
> form widget as it is done for all other widgets. It must be possible to
> differ between form widget (= global) validation errors, collected
> "somewhere" and widget specific errors. In other words I do not want to
> be forced to collect all errors at one place just because of using
> ft:validation-errors for the global errors.

This behaviour could be made configurable via an attribute on the
element:

<ft:form-errors all="true|false"/>

all=false would give only the errors added directly to the form, while
all=true would give all errors from all widgets (including those added
to the form).

Once we have this kind of functionality, we can drop the fd:messages
widget which was introduced as a temporary solution.

OTOH, from monitoring the users list, it seems a fd:message widget
(singular) would be useful since many users are now using the fd:output
widget for outputting messages (and then need to do special things to
get i18n working for that).