cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Rolf Kulemann <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of repository block and webdav question.
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 07:14:35 GMT
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 08:58, Guido Casper wrote:
> Johann Romefort wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone provide me with a quick note status about the repository
> > block? Is there something already useable in the CVS?
> > Also I m wondering what are the pros and cons about using Slide block or
> > WebDAV block.
>
> My take on this is:
>
> Consider using the Slide block for in-VM repository access for max
> performance.

True.

> Use WebDAV for remote repository access for max flexibility.

If u only need some simple access, so no transactions.

> Both are to be considered unstable (i.e. alpha). Both contain parts
> being used in productions systems today.
>
> Both are likely to be influenced by JSR170 (which just went into public
> review). But this IMHO heavily depends of the availability (and nature)
> of a RI and how the Slide project/community is willing/able to adopt it.

Yes, we are all waiting for it, but I guess nobody should hold a breath
on it.

At the end, cocoon has no real repository integration, but various
approaches to access different kind of backends depending on ur special
situation. I do not say this is bad or good, I only say how it is.

Of course slide is integrated so one could say, cocoon has an rep.
integration, but that is not an repository abstraction which makes
applications using it independent of the implementation (slide).

--
Regards,

    Rolf Kulemann