cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Enough object store crap, let's get serious
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 19:53:44 GMT
On 24 May 2004, at 20:07, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Who's with me?

The Sleepycat license contains:

The following is the license that applies to this copy of the Berkeley
DB Java Edition software.  For a license to use the Berkeley DB Java
Edition software under conditions other than those described here, or
to purchase support for this software, please contact Sleepycat Software
by email at info@sleepycat.com, or on the Web at
http://www.sleepycat.com.

and

  * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
  *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
  *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
  *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
  *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
  *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
  *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for
all
  *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules
or
  *    files that typically accompany the major components of the
operating
  *    system on which the executable file runs.

... which is the same kind of commercial runtime penalty MySQL carries.

Which means, IIUC, we could distribute stuff legally, but nobody would
be able to shrink-wrap and close-source Cocoon without paying Sleepycat
a fee. That is not what our license has been indicating throughout the
years, and I honestly don't understand how all the other Sleepycat
users (like Subversion) cope with this.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org