cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Repository Usage and Versioning
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:44:30 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Rethinking our version structure and moving to subversion seems to
>> indicate that we should rethink our repository usage.
>>
>> I think we should use one repository per major version, so one
>> repository for all 2.x versions (except 2.0.x versions that we
>> leave the way it is).
>>
> I really think we should get away from this idea of multiple
> repositories. Subversion should, I believe, fix the problems that led us
> to our multiple repository situation, and therefore we should have just
> two repositories: code and site. (Of course we leave 2.0 where it is).
>
> If we don't do this, we loose all sorts of benefits, e.g. merging
> branches, lazy branching, etc, etc. And if there's no 'cost' in
> Subversion for branching (like there is in CVS), then why not do it?

The fact is that in subversion, a branch is just a dir! So this whole
discussion about how many "repositories" to have is moot, as we can copy
  and move things round as many times as we want, all retaining history
and with *cheap* copies (IOW the same file that is not modified is
stored only once inside the repo and referenced in two places).

So we now have

  cocoon-2.1 (repo)
  cocoon-2.2 (repo)

with SVN we will have this dir structure:

  /cocoon
   /trunk
     /site
     /src
   /branches
      /cocoon2.1
        /site
        /src

Please read play with SVN a bit, as it has a different and better way to
handle these things.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -