cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make ProcessingException extend CascadingRuntimeException
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:59:59 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Ugo Cei wrote:
>>
>>> I think everyone interested has had the option of venting his opinion
>>> on the subject of checked vs. unchecked exceptions. For the record,
>>> here [1] is the relevant thread.
>>>
>>> In order to move forward, I propose to reparent the
>>> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException to extend
>>> org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException instead of
>>> CascadingException.
>>>
>>> The change is backward-compatible and is a one-line change that can
>>> be reverted easily, but might have implications on the way we manage
>>> exceptions in the future.
>>>
>>> I've already performed the change locally and everything compiles.
>>> Tests fail, but they failed also before the change :-(.
>>>
>>> So, please cast your votes.
>>

>> -1
>
> Nicola, could you summarize the reasons for your -1?
> (... I haven't followed the previous discussion on exceptions very
> closely, so pls forgive if you already pointed out your concerns)

In the archives you can find my opinion.

In any case (and note that this is a vote, not a veto) the main reason
is that in doing this we risk to throw out the baby with the water: I
prefer a lot to remove ProcessingExceptions comptely and have the Cocoon
components throw all the exceptions that the container can and will
handle. IOW, I don't want to have an implicit contract but a more
detailed and explicit one. In any case, generic ProcessingExceptions are
evil, and this is a fact that we have known for a long time.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -