cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:48:49 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
>>From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
>>
>>again, from memory, the real tough part is the barrier that's
>>in place around the reference.
>
> I'd say the hard part is when A has significant state that isn't
> preserved when it dies.

right! Any reason it can't be preserved?

reminds me of Persistable...

 > 1) A active
 > 2) schedule swap of A with B
 > 3) prepare swap to max extend (ie create and initialize B)
 > 4) suspend A and all processes referencing A
 > 5) swap
 >    1) stop A
      1.5) save A state
 >    2) kill A (if it doesn't respond)
      2.5) load A state into B
 >    3) start B
 >    4) update reference
 > 6) resume A and all processes referencing A

the problem is that step 5 just keeps getting more and more
expensive...and for all intents and purposes, needs to be atomic.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/