cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:57:57 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> If you have two blocks in the avalon sandbox, you could share them
> between them, but there is no (easy? elegant?) way you can pass them
> arond *OUTSIDE* the sandbox and still allow blocks to be hotswappable
> and runtime polymorphic.
>
> [I would gladly be proven wrong here!]

write a failing testcase that doens't require me to understand every
little detail of cocoon internals and I could try.

I just totally fail to see what restrictions you think are intrinsic to
avalon-framework-compatible components for preventing container feature
X or feature Y from working.

I understand the decision to move away from /depending/ on o.a.avalon.*
based on stuff like community dynamics, but I totally fail to understand
is the technical part of the rationale that, comes after that decision,
that says backwards (and forward, in fact) /compatibility/ is not
possible or not possible cleanly.

You're taking a rather firm stance without having code in place that
proves your point. I can imagine people "freaking out" at big
architectural change for a reason that is not understood and may not
even exist.

> Is this clear enough?

nope :-D

> if not, I'm glad to keep answering questions.

- What problem are you solving that can't be solved if a component
requires (for example) that the container honours the Servicable contract?

- Why not?

- Have you actually tried it?

- Where did it fail?

Apologies for jumping onto this topic like this, but I've just spent
half a year exploring solutions to these kinds of things and so far I
just haven't encountered any fundamental issue which you seem to be
fearing exists. When you say "not elegantly possible" people believe it
and that may be a bad thing if you're wrong ;)

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/