cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:55:56 GMT
Hi guys!

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> And the dependency is very minimal. It's just a dependency against the
>> avalon framework api version 4.1.5 - a released version. There is no
>> need in following the development of Avalon.
>
> The issue is not so technical as it's of indipendence from something
> that, in the good and the bad, has not helped Cocoon be built by Gump
> for ages now.

avalon-framework very rarely doesn't get built by gump. It's the ECM
dependency that's causing the ripples, and the big set of dependencies
ECM has itself.

Since it seems ECM is being put into the freezer anyway, just be
pragmatic and make the gump build of cocoon depend on an installed
package or some jars in cvs. It's not like ECM has changed a lot over
the last 2 years.

(...)

I just read up on this thread when someone pointed me at it. What I
don't understand is what you think will be so difficult. By now there's
half a dozen examples of containers and/or microkernels out there that
can be easily made to run your typical avalon-style cocoon component.

Just to drive that point home, here's some tests from my own pet project:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/container-integration/src/test/org/jicarilla/container/test/integration/avalon/

if I can figure out how to do this all on my own, surely the cocoon
community will have no trouble whatsoever attaining interoperability
between "new-style" and "old-style" blocks you need.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/