cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Versions
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:16:41 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Following this, why do we need a version change to 2.2 if
> 'only' 2.0 users, who want to upgrade, are affected. The
> change from 2.0 to 2.1 was a major version change which _can_
> cause some minor incombatibilites.
>
> >An upgrade for a user means that she just has to replace the
> use of the
> >deprecated class with a newer one. So it comes down to using a
> >different interface name and a different method name in some rare
> >cases.
> >The two areas affected here are caching and source resolving.
> >In both cases, using the new interfaces provides improved
> features but
> >also improved performance and stability anyway.
> >
> >Another area are the RequestLifeCycle components. They have been
> >introduced in Cocoon 2.0.4 (I think) and we have voted to
> remove them
> >in 2.2 again. So if you are using them, you have to use one of the
> >alternatives which is using Contextualizable to get the
> object model or
> >the RequestDataStore to store infos. But I guess that not many are
> >using these interfaces anyway.
> >
> >I would add of course documents on how to update for each area.
> >

> Same as above.
>
> IMO we can move on with 2.1.x and remove the depracated
> classes if this is necessary. WDYT?

To be honest, this was my first thinking as well :) But there is
the general perception that a minor version change is 100%
compatible (or 99.9%) which is of course not the case if we
remove deprecated classes.
If noone is against it, we can continue with the 2.1.x - sure.
This would makes thinks easier.

Carsten