cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:34 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> For my understanding, what exactly do these terms mean (i.e.
> 'user API'
> and 'developer API') ? Are they paralel to the concepts of
> 'usage compatibility' and 'extension compatibility' or are
> they part of a separate classification?
Yes, they are parallel. Usage compatibility is the compatiblity
of the user api etc.

> >If a part of the user API is deprecated, this will be
> flagged through
> >run-time warnings that appear in the logs but remain supported. This
> >indicates that an upcoming minor (or major) release will no longer
> >support this.
> >
> >If a part of the developer API is deprecated it will be removed with
> >the next major, minor or patch release.
> >

> Don't you mean ".. removed with the next major or minor release" ?

No :) This is the tricky part. I think there are some very very very
very ... very rare cases where it makes sense to just remove some
deprecated stuff between two patch releases. So I don't want to block
this possibility. I will make this more clear in the next
version of this guide.

> >For developers there is one exception to this rule: private
> API. Cocoon
> >has some internal classes and interfaces that are not meant
> to be used
> >by a Cocoon developer (someone extending Cocoon). These
> pieces of Java
> >code are clearly marked in the Javadocs and should not be used.
> >They might change even between a patch version change in an
> >incompatible way without providing a workaround!
> >

> <snip type="more good stuff"/>
>
> As part of the effort of establishing versioning rules and
> consequently the separation of different areas of our code
> base (public, private,
> etc) we could review some of the related proposals that have
> been discussed in the past. Perhaps we could tackle these
> concerns as part of this effort. Especially I am thinking of
> the proposals towards modularisation of the code base into
> functional modules (API, SPI, etc.) and javadoc extensions
> for signalling private or public API membership.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105766229504616&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106424060330963&w=2

Yepp, this has been discussed very often, so perhaps it's really
time to "do something".

Carsten