cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Continue Development of 2.1.x
Date Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:21:14 GMT
Antoni Gallardo wrote:

> Ralph Goers dijo:
> > It is highly unlikely that the project I am working on will
> use 2.2 as
> > we have to be in production early next year and a
> significant amount
> > of work has already been done.
> >
> > I am very much in favor of continuing to add new features
> to 2.1 (such
> > as the patch I just submitted), especially when they are completely
> > binary compatible.  I believe 2.1 has a long life ahead of it.
> >
> > Frankly, I'd prefer that the current 2.2 become 3.0 and the
> > incompatible changes go into a new 2.2.  It is my
> impression that what
> > is now in 2.2 is going to end up being quite different from 2.1 and
> > that it should not just be a point release.  This would allow me to
> > migrate to stay on 2.1 and maintain binary compatibility,
> move to 2.2
> > at the risk of minor incompatibilities, or move up to 3.0
> where major
> > differences happen.  I realize there is a risk with this, as nobody
> > really likes to maintain two releases at one time, so 2.1
> is likely to stagnate.
>
> Same here. A question (just trying to understand): that means
> we can also drop the support for old avalon components in
> 3.0. Is this correct?

We *could* do this, but I hope we will not :) Given the discussions
about blocks here and the recent discussions over at Avalon I could
imagine that we don't have to drop the support. But I think, we
should simply try to support them and if it's not possible, well
for a 3.0 we could drop it.

Carsten