cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Versions
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:08:25 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> ><snip/>
> >

> >My opinion is that we should remove deprecated classes (some
> of them)
> >in our 2.1.x branch *now* in order to create a smooth
> transition and to
> >build a better basis for the future development.
> >To indicate this, we should update the version number to 2.2
> *now* in
> >the cocoon-2.1 repository. This would mean that the next
> Cocoon version
> >would be 2.2. If the need for a 2.1.5 arises we could still make a
> >branch.
> >We clearly indicate that although we have a major version
> change, there
> >are only minor incompatibilities that shouldn't affect users.
> >

> Who is affected by those changes? What does an upgrade mean
> for the user?

Good question, thanks Reinhard, I forgot to tell that :)

If we remove deprecated classes, users that have developed their
application for Cocoon 2.0.x are affected if they are still
using the deprecated classes. If your app is developed for
Cocoon 2.1.x, you are not affected.
An upgrade for a user means that she just has to replace the
use of the deprecated class with a newer one. So it comes
down to using a different interface name and a different
method name in some rare cases.
The two areas affected here are caching and source resolving.
In both cases, using the new interfaces provides improved
features but also improved performance and stability anyway.

Another area are the RequestLifeCycle components. They have
been introduced in Cocoon 2.0.4 (I think) and we have voted
to remove them in 2.2 again. So if you are using them,
you have to use one of the alternatives which is
using Contextualizable to get the object model or the
RequestDataStore to store infos. But I guess that not
many are using these interfaces anyway.

I would add of course documents on how to update for each area.

Carsten