cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [Vote] Repository Usage and Versioning
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:01:59 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 23.04.2004 20:14, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
> > As I understood Carsten's reasoning, 2.1.5 cannot be
> > released because
> > it introduces an incompatibility with 2.1.4.
Yes, more or less - personally I think we failed following a
versioning guide in the past, so it doesn't really matter
if we don't follow it for 2.1.5 neither.
But we should start to follow it as soon as possible if that's
2.1.5 or 2.2.

> > Therefore he was
> > recommending NOT having a 2.1.5 but going to 2.2 instead.
I said: let's focus on 2.2 now and do a 2.1.5 if required!

> > 2.1 would basically be dead.
Dead is a very strong word. This is the drawback of following
the versioning guide. If don't follow it, we can continue the
way we did our releases in the past and this versioning theme
is popping up all two months. So we could do an incompatible
2.1.5 but everyone will continue to complain "we need a
versioning guide" etc.
So, if we follow the guide, it means we have to increase the
minor version number, just because of one single simple
incompatible change. However, the guide also should make clear
that for the users POV there is no real difference if they
upgrade from 2.1.4 to 2.1.5 or to a 2.2. 2.2 will not be
something completly new, so it wouldn't really matter if
2.1 is "dead".

> If we follow the rule "retroactively", the possible branch
> point would
> be the last Cocoon release 2.1.4 as this would simplify much (no
> reverts necessary). Good patches could then be applied to
> 2.1 branch
> afterwards.
>
> I prefer this way over an incompatible 2.1.5.

I have thought about it and I think we should branch from the 2.1.4
release. The main reason is the new 2.0 license. I guess we don't
want to reapply all those changes.
I see no problem in branching now, remove the incompatible change
and that's it. It should be easier to identify the incompatible
changes (if there are more) than reapplying all the patches that
we did since 2.1.4.

And one question we should answer is: is there really a need for
a 2.1.5 release?

Carsten