cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:32:50 GMT
Tim Larson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:50:08PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Tim Larson wrote:
> > > If it happens that 2.3 comes very soon after 2.2, then the
> > > deprecated code in effect was just deleted and not put through a
> > > normal deprecation cycle.  Perhaps we need to also set a minimum
> > > length of time that deprecated features will live, to ensure that
> > > deprecation is a meaningful process and not just a formality.
> > >
> > Hmm, yes, this is a valid point. Looking back, it always took some
> > time between our releases, so I think we don't have to set a strict
> > rule for this. We should just decide on a case by case base if the
> > time inbetween releases has been long enough or if we
> should keep the
> > deprecated stuff in the next minor release and remove it one minor
> > release later.
>
> We will need to decide on a case-by-case basis, but we should
> also set a general guideline to help with the decisions.

Ok, we can add this when the guide is in CVS (which should be very
shortly)...

> > > Also, we should define what deprecation means, such as whether
> > > simple but severe security issues will receive updates,
> even though
> > > more ongoing or complex updates will not happen to
> deprecated code.
> > Can you please explain this a little bit? Do you mean, what will
> > happen if security issues arise in deprecated code?
>
> Yes, that is what I am asking.  If we do not handle security
> issues in deprecated code, our users are not in a much better
> position than if we had just deleted the code without
> deprecation, since they can no longer safely continue to use
> the code in production.  If we are going to do the effort of
> a deprecation cycle, we might as well make it mean something
> for our users.

Ah, yes, of course. If any severe security issue arises (where 'any' means
either in deprecated or non deprecated code), we will make
a patch release. Yes.

> > Yes, agreed. And we should really start updating libaries only if
> > there is really a good reason for it.
>
> For these compatible releases I agree, but I also appreciate
> Antonio's and others' efforts in keeping these libraries up
> to date.  I wish there were an easy way to maintain the
> integration of both old stable and new up-to-date libraries
> against our code.
> I admit I do not know the best, most practical, balance for
> this issue.

Yes, in general I personally would always update to the latest
release, but for compatibility it's not always the best choice.
Now, I think Gump is doing this work for us, or? We use a
specific version and Gump builds (and tests?) Cocoon against
the latest version.

Carsten