cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:53:35 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> here goes:
> I see some difference between what I would call 'extension'
> vs. 'usage'
> compatibility
>
> <snip explains/>
I like the distinction and I totally agree with the vision of
'usage'. In my RT about versions I was only refering to
the 'extension' are when it comes to incompatible changes.

> I currently don't think we have a release scheme that
> supports one or the other: i.e. reality seems pretty much
> like what Carsten is saying:
> we just have 1,2,... 1004 (based on some gut feeling we seem
> to be distributing those numbers over tripplets)

Yes, I think this is really the truth. And in reality things
get very complicated as compatibility for Cocoon as a whole
applies not only to what we develop but to most other projects
we incorporate.
We are - for example - very eager in updating to new releases
of external libraries. So it happens, that we change from
Xalan 2.4 to Xalan 2.6 between 2.1.3 and 2.1.4. (just a fictional
sample). It's a major change for Xalan, so it's not required
to be compatible. But if Cocoon or a users application relies
on some things that have changed between 2.4 and 2.6, then
Cocoon isn't compatible between 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 for them. And
of course, they blame Cocoon (which isn't soo wrong).

And in fact, these updates to the external libraries cause a
lot of problems to users when they try to update from one
version to another of Cocoon.

So, what do we do with all these infos?

Carsten