cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject testing (was Re: [cforms] widget values: set, get, validate, readfromrequest, parse, fireEvents,... generateSAXEvent)
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:42:24 GMT
Il giorno 09/apr/04, alle 16:11, Marc Portier ha scritto:

> Ugo Cei wrote:
>> Il giorno 09/apr/04, alle 14:16, Marc Portier ha scritto:
>>> more?
>> Write tests, maybe? ;-)
>
> agree, in fact I'm just looking at most of the samples being broken
> ATM (hoping it's only local)
>
> do you have any suggestions on a sensible template for those tests?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "template" here. When I did
a contribution to Woody, I wrote a small set of Junit test cases for it
(see src/blocks/forms/test/org/apache/cocoon/forms/datatype), extending
ExcaliburTestCase. Another approach is to use Anteater. I don't think
there's a generic template that you can reuse easily.

<rant>
Actually, I was just pointing out that, without a comprehensive suite
of tests, it's very hard to keep sanity in our codebase and understand
what's going on. I might go as far as to suggest that we shouldn't
accept new components and blocks without a comprehensive accompanying
test suite. And the same goes for refactorings and bugfixes on stable
blocks and the core.

I know I am guilty myself of occasional sloppiness, but when I see an
entire new "kernel" for our next generation container being committed
without a single test case, I cannot but feel a little worried.
</rant>

	Ugo